Ms. Ruggiero’s Biology Classroom
Policies and Procedures:
· Getting to work immediately- Please pick up the Science Question as you walk into the classroom. You are required to begin this assignment prior to the tardy bell. Please be seated in your assigned seat when the bell rings to avoid being marked tardy.
· End-of-hour class dismissal- ALL students must be in his or her seat when the bell rings to leave. As a reminder, the bell doesn’t dismiss you… your teacher does.
· Coming to attention- If your teacher is standing in front of her desk (or sitting on the table in front), this is your signal to end your conversations, stop what you are doing, and give your full attention up front.
· When you need to sharpen a pencil- You may sharpen your pencil as needed, however, if the teacher is talking you must wait until the lesson is over.
· When you need a pencil/pen-If you forget to bring a writing utensil to class, first ask a friend to loan you one. If you still need a pencil, you may purchase one for $0.25 at the beginning of class ONLY. It is not okay to ask midway through the lesson or when the teacher is talking. If you do not have $0.25, I will loan you a pen or pencil if you trade your agenda, a shoe, or other valuable with me.
· Using classroom materials/supply boxes-Located on the bookshelf in the front of the room are boxes with supplies such as colored pencils, scissors, etc. These items are only to be used with permission. All supplies must be returned before you leave class.
· Going to the restroom- Class time is learning time. The school provides time between classes to take care of all non-learning needs, such as using the restroom and your locker. All non-learning needs are expected to be attended to during this passing time. As a result, passes to the restroom and locker will not be given freely. You have 3 passes per quarter, use them wisely!
· Knowing the day’s schedule- The daily agenda will be posted on the front board next to the weekly agenda. Please review it as you come into the class.
· Fire drills/Weather Drills-In the case of a fire drill our class will exit Out the Door located just outside our classroom. You MUST stay with the class!!!
· Recycling- Please recycle any unwanted paper by placing it into the green bin located under the Absent Work area. Plastic bottles can be placed in the Turquoise bin located in the Absent work area.
· Missing Items- If you forget something in class, please look in the RED bin located under the Sinks.
· Gas valves- are to be used ONLY under the instruction of your teacher. DO NOT touch the gas valves or you will be written up for ‘malicious mischief’.
· Emergency Shower and Eye Wash- are to be used ONLY in the case of a TRUE EMERGENCY! DO NOT touch either one or you will be written up for ‘malicious mischief’.
· Room Temperature- Please be aware that the temperature of the classroom may vary greatly from day-to-day. It is advisable that each of you keep extra clothing in your locker.
· When you finish assignments early- It is encouraged that you review your notes from class. This is also a good time to catch up on any late or missing work. You may work on homework from another class ONLY if you are caught up in Science. It is not okay for you to take a nap or talk with your classmates or take part in any other disruptive behavior.
· 5th Hour - You are expected to listen and Read the school announcements. No student should be talking or socializing during this time and headphones should not be in your ears